Monday 9 May 2016

Spotlight Designer: Shilpa Nagaonkar

Good morning, everyone!

It's Nikita here to introduce you to our fabulous Spotlight Designer for this month - Shilpa Nagaonkar :) Most of you may know her already as she has been a part of Lulupu's Design Team until recently. Today, Shilpa has for us a project that she created using Distress Crayons and a detailed review of this amazing product.

Here's a little bit about her:

1. Tell us a little bit about you and your family.
Hello Everyone, Shilpa here, great to be back on Lulupu blog as Guest Designer. I am a mixed media artist from Bangalore.

2. How did you become interested in crafts and what inspired you to start blogging?
I always loved to paint and craft, I started making cards with stamps when I visited UK saw beautiful handmade cards in the craft store... it took me long to start my own blog and inspiration was Kristina Werner.

3. What are some of your "go-to" supplies for crafting?
My "go to supplies" are all from Ranger Tim Holtz distress line :)

4. What is your favorite crafting technique?
My favourite techniques are stamping and stenciling

5. How would you describe your crafting style?
I am a mixed media style artist

6. Who are some of your influences? Who has been your inspiration?
My inspiration- Tim Holtz

7. When not crafting , what keeps you busy?
If I am not crafting... I read books!

8. What are you currently working on?
I am working on huge size canvas, its a gift for her new home.

Well, it was great getting to know you, Shilpa. Now let's see some of your magic.

Over to Shilpa :)
--- x --- x --- x ---

 Lulupu sent me these Ranger Distress crayons for review and I am thrilled to share my experience with you.


What are Distress Crayons?


 Distress Crayons are smooth water reactive pigments are made to use on porous surfaces. They come in 3 sets (6 colors in each)- Bright, Earthtone, Vintage.


Techniques...

They are very creamy like lipstick and you can smudge it.

They work better if have any primer or medium like gesso or gel medium on the surface.
You will see in the picture, on the left side I smudged the crayon on regular white card stock and on right side color pigment smudged in better way, as the surface is primed with white gesso.
After the pigment dries on surface, it is permanent, we can't smudge it.


They work beautifully on watercolor paper with water, I can see lots of watercolor techniques with them.... color stamp image, make watercolor background and so on...


Distress crayons work great with stencils.

Instead of applying crayons through stencil on paper, here is trick to do that,
smudge distress crayons on non stick craft sheet or plastic spritz little bit of water, take a blending tool and pick up the the color, and apply through stencil... it gives crisp image... perfect for backgrounds.


Another technique with stencil and distress crayons...

Smudge distress crayons onto the surface...here I've used mermaid lagoon, peacock feathers, twisted citron colors. Keep stencil on it and wipe the color through it with baby wipe...another beautiful background.


Distress Crayons gives beautiful interest to crackle paste/ Crazing Medium

In the first picture, you will see, I've applied Distress Crazing medium through stencil. Let it dry for 15 mins., it will create crackles (soft), to highlight them, I smudged distress crayons (festive berries and rusty hinge) on it.... and look at that yummy texture.


Distress Crayons work great with...

1. Dry embossed surface
2. On metal embellishments
3. With other distress products like distress inks, paints stains

I've created tag with this great product....
Let's see the procedure..
First of all, I adhered the tissue paper to the tag with Distress collage medium. Dried the surface with heat tool.


Applied Twisted citron and peacock feathers distress crayon colors randomly on the surface and smudged it.


Kept the Argyle stencil onto it and wiped the color through that.


For next layer, I smudged walnut stain on the craft mat, spritzed water a bit, picked up the color and applied through stencil with blending tool.


Added texture stamping.


Cut out bird and cage with watercolor paper and Sizzix die. I used distress crayons as watercolors to color them.


Here is the finished tag!!

Do you all like it?.....

Here are more close up views..







Products Used from Lulupu
Distress Crayons Set 1, 2, 3
Tim Holtz Mini Layered Stencil set 2
 Distress Collage Medium Set

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Here are my social media links
Blog | Facebook Personal | Facebook Business | Instagram


That was amazing, Shilpa! Thank you so much for the detailed review and a list of techniques we can try with Distress Crayons. And for the amazing tutorial for creating this beautiful tag too!

It was great to have you back! :)

That's all for now, folks! See you all soon.

Until then, check out our challenge for the month - Mini Albums. You have till the end of the month to enter your projects.

Have a great day!
Nikita :)

16 comments:

  1. beautiful tag,lots of techniques and a great review Shilpa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like it? I loved it, Shilpa ! It's gorgeous. Beautiful techniques and review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like it? I loved it, Shilpa ! It's gorgeous. Beautiful techniques and review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...
    that was amazing....all the techniques as well
    hey Shilpa can u tell me, how do I learn this mix media tech. as I am new to these things....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review...Thanks for sharing techniques, Shilpa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow amazing.Thanks for sharing techniques

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb Tag and review ..now I want to buy distress crayons ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome project. Very inspiring blogpost!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.


    Packers and Movers Keelkattalai Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is way too awesome Shilpa :) luv luv luv it & thank you so much for such an informative post <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful techniques.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! So many beautiful techniques to learn, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning tag Shilpa! Glad to have you here! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing shilpa, great review of the products, very informative. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.